The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other agency, organization, employer or company.
Jazz Ishmael Butler is an up-and-coming rapper professionally known as Lil Tracy and he's performed since 2012 under various former stage names such as Yung Bruh, Sicko Tracy, Souljawitch, Persian Dolphin, and Yunng Karma. Tracy is a staple in the underground rap scene, as he hasn't broken out into the mainstream market just yet. His diverse music style ranges from punk rock to modern rap. Aside from his core fans, there are a lot of things that people may not know about him. So, we compiled a list of 9 facts about the star. Check them out below!
1. Lil Tracy’s dad is Ishmael Butler from former hip hop trio Digable Planets and his mom is Coko Clemons from R&B group SWV.
2. He had a heart attack a year ago, which strongly influenced his choice to stop using drugs.
3. He is actually a nice, funny, and caring person.
4. Tracy was born in New Jersey. When people think of Tracy, they connect him to Virginia Beach because he represents for that 757 area code. But, he was actually born in Teaneck, New Jersey in 1995. His mom and dad split when he was a kid and when Tracy was just 8 years old, his mom remarried and moved to Virginia Beach.
5. Even though both of Tracy’s parents are well-known, his come up was not as easy as people think. At age 16, tired of fighting with his mom, Tracy ran away and moved into a close-by forest with three friends -- by living in a tent. From there, he survived anyway he could. “There was this fountain in downtown [Virginia Beach] where people would throw change,” Tracy told FADER. “I literally would go into the fountain just to get the money and go to McDonald’s.”
6. The first day Tracy met collaborator and best friend Lil Peep, they made a song called “White Tee” and its music video has amassed over 15 million views thus far.
7. Due to both of his parents being popular musicians, he has been around music his entire life. Tracy was on music tours as a youth and travelled all around the world.
8. Tracy discovered punk music through the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack. This is interesting considering the fact that one of Tracy’s many music styles is a clash between punk rock and hip hop.
9. He got his stage name Lil Tracy by always wearing a Tracy McGrady jersey. One day, while his friend and producer Nedarb was throwing out old clothes, Nedarb gave it to him. Tracy would always wear it and he began calling himself "Lil Tracy." The name stuck and the rest is rap history.
More on REVOLT TV: