*

John Singleton's family reportedly hires private investigator

Terry Carter

 // Jun 7, 2019

Google // Free Use

John Singleton's family wants answers about his death.

According to TMZ, some of the mothers of the beloved filmmaker's children have suspicions about his untimely passing. On Friday (June 7), sources close to the situation told the outlet a private investigator has been hired to figure out key details leading up to Singleton's hospitalization.

As previously reported, Singleton was hospitalized on April 17 after suffering a major stroke. At the time, reports stated the 51-year-old checked himself into the hospital, however, Singleton's family claims there is no evidence to prove that.

Singleton apparently did not drive himself to the hospital, nor did any of his family members transport him. Additionally, the source claims there is no record that he took a Lyft or Uber.

TMZ also reported that the Poetic Justice director's next of kin were informed that he arrived at the hospital "out of nowhere in a wheelchair" which raised further suspicions.

According to the site, Singleton's family wants to find out "what John was doing beforehand, who he was communicating with, and whether someone knew he was in bad shape and could have done something sooner to help him."

Singleton remained in a coma until his family made the decision to take him off of life support on April 28. He was laid to rest on May 6. His private funeral service was attended by close family and friends, including Tyrese, Nia Long, Ludacris, Ving Rhames, Ice Cube, and Taraji P. Henson.

Meanwhile, TMZ also reports Singleton's mother, Shelia Ward, has filed legal documents requesting control of his $35 million estate. Ward reportedly wants to "restore order" after claiming someone stole items from the late filmmaker's office. She also says Singleton has other valued property at risk, including an art collection and comic book trove. A judge has yet to rule on her request.

Video
From the top