*

911 call from Jussie Smollett's alleged attack released

Terry Carter

 // Jun 6, 2019

Jussie Smollett / Instagram

The 911 call from Jussie Smollett's alleged hate crime earlier this year has been released.

In the censored audio, a man who claims he "work[ed] for" Smollett was the one who called authorities following the attack on January 29. As previously reported, the caller told the dispatcher Smollett "didn't want" to report the incident.

"He went to Subway. He was walking by and some guys, I don't know, they jumped him or something like that," the caller said as he waited in the lobby of Smollett's apartment building. When the dispatcher informed the caller that he couldn't make the report for the "Empire" star, the caller shared that the 36-year-old was "startled" by the assault.

"They put a noose around his neck," he stated. "They didn't do anything, but they put it around his neck. That's really f–cked up to me." According to TMZ, police records show the call was made 40 minutes after Smollett arrived back to his Chicago residence.

In his initial report, Smollett claimed his attackers shouted "This is MAGA country, n—a" before punching him. He also claimed he fought off his assailants who wore ski masks to protect their identity.

In March, all 16 felony counts against him were dropped after he was indicted for allegedly orchestrating the attack and falsifying his police report. Since then, Smollett has been let go from "Empire" and will not return for the series sixth and final season.

The City of Chicago has also filed a civil complaint against the actor following his refusal to reimburse the city for the investigative costs that went into the case. Smollett was initially requested to pay $130,106 but now he could pay up to three times that amount if he loses the case.

Keep reading to hear the full 911 call from the night of the alleged attack ahead.

Video
From the top