R. Kelly // Getty
On Friday (Feb. 22), R. Kelly was charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. According to reports, three of the four victims were minors at the time of the alleged abuse, which prosecutors claim happened in instances from 1998 to 2010 when the minors were between the ages of 13 and 16.
Despite facing allegations of sexual abuse against women and teenage girls for decades, the R&B singer, whose real name is Robert Kelly, has never been convicted. He's also denied all allegations against him.
As reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, a Cook County judge has approved a no-bail arrest warrant following the grand jury hearing. According to court records, Cook County prosecutors appeared before Judge Dennis Porter, who approved the warrant for Kelly.
The singer's attorney, Steven Greenberg, said early Friday afternoon that he had not been notified that his client had been charged. As a representative for Kelly, he has said his client vehemently denies any wrongdoing.
Friday's indictment marks the first time that Kelly has been charged with any crimes since being acquitted of child pornography charges in 2008.
As previously reported, one woman provided prosecutors with "physical evidence" to support her claims that she had a sexual relationship with Kelly as a minor. The woman told the jury she engaged in sex with Kelly from 2008 through 2010.
The 52-year-old is expected in court in Chicago on March 8.
The news of R. Kelly's indictment a month and a half since Lifetime aired its explosive "Surviving R. Kelly" docuseries centering on the accounts of dozens of women tied to the disgraced singer.
More on this story as it develops.