Carl Scheffel // MSG
A$AP Yams is more commonly known as the glue and conceiver of the A$AP Mob, but when you take a closer look it is easy to see how his impact spanned much further than just the collective. He inspired an entire generation of music, culture and people. The word influencer gets thrown around to the point where it now feels meaningless, but Yams was the true epitome of the word for hip-hop culture. His colorful outlook on life and cozy style set spark to trends still bubbling today and even though he hasn't tweeted since his untimely passing on January 18, 2015, his iconic pockets of wisdom still appear on the timeline daily.
For the second year in a row, the ASAP Mob gathered all their family and friends for another epic Yams Day concert at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Fans traveled from all over, decked out in their finest velour suits, Timbs and Coogi sweaters to catch the star studded line up and honor his legacy — the Yams way. In celebration, lets take a look at how the Mob and the rest of the world chose to celebrate the memory of Yams on this special day.
1. Before the festivities the A$AP Mob made their way to Yams’ grave site to visit their brother and pay their respects the only way Yams would want it done.
SEEN MY BIG BROTHER TODAY HE SENDS HIS BLESSINGS TO EVERYONE pic.twitter.com/qlsudr6nRa— Mel (@AsapTwelvyy) January 18, 2017
2. After their collaboration with Stussy last year, the collective tapped close friend and Off White founder Virgil Abloh to create a commemorative piece for Yams Day 2017. All proceed from the shirt were donated to the A$AP Yams foundation managed by his mother.
Off-White™ c/o AWGE ~ RIP A$AP YAMS "HEAVENLY " Tee ~ specially created for A$AP YAMS DAY all proceeds to the foundation and the legacy pic.twitter.com/7p5FQj9tdW— virgil abloh (@virgilabloh) January 19, 2017
3. In addition to creating merch for the special day, Virgil gifted members of the Mob pieces from Off White’s F/W 18 collection "Seeing Things" before it the runway the following day. A$AP Bari received a coveted pair of Timberland-inspired suede black boots and shearling coat.
4. A$AP Ferg managed to bring jewelry designer Ben Baller out of "retirement" to create a custom chain in memory of his brother. The lofty piece features a bull in Timbs with the nickname "Yamborghini" bannered across the top covered in 65 carats of white VVS diamonds on a white gold 3D pendant inscribed with Yams’ favorite quote on the back.
5. Creatives took to social media earlier in the day to show their love and appreciation for the Puerto Rican R. Kelly the best way they knew how.
On this day, January 18th, 2015, Steven “A$AP Yams” Rodriguez passed away. pic.twitter.com/nUq87I2rB2— ∴ (@trapghanistan) January 18, 2017
6. Before performing at the event, NJ rapper Retch gave concert goers some valid advice to properly prepare for the turn up. "Get there early, wear loose clothing, stay hydrated." I'm sure even Khaled would agree on these major keys.
#YAMSDAY CHEAT CODE:— Retch (@RetchyP) January 18, 2017
📍GET THERE EARLY
📍WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING
7. In addition to collaborating on the show merch with Virgil, A$AP Rocky’s creative group AWGE also handled the scholastic set design for the show. Equipped with chalkboards, desks, lockers, basketball hoops, bleachers and championship banners, the team brought to life old memories of high school days when the A$AP Mob first assembled.
8. Everyone came out to MSG with Yams on their minds and their body. Many fans chose to immediately throw on the merch they purchased during the show while others pulled some classic Yams memorabilia out of the stash to show love.
Yams Day 2017 🙏 pic.twitter.com/zVLIMQzq3j— REPUBLIC (@REPUBLIC958) January 18, 2017
9. With a basketball team worth of artists on the line up and limited time, some friends didn't make it off the bench. Cam'ron, Lil Uzi Vert, T-Pain and Joey Bada$$ were among the hopefuls who couldn't make it out.
To my people who may have came to YAMS DAY to see me, sorry for the inconvenience but security wouldn't let me in the building. Out my hands— BADMON (@joeyBADASS) January 19, 2017
10. To make up for the no shows, the A$AP Mob had some surprises performers up their sleeves including Brooklyn favorite Casanova, Dave East, French Montana, The Weeknd and Young Thug.
11. As promised Tyler the Creator took the stage for a very rare performance of "Telephone Calls" with A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti.
12. Amongst all the craziness happening on stage and in the mosh pits, there was even more going on backstage. There is no other time or place where you could catch French Montana, DJ Khaled, The Weeknd, A$AP Ferg and Kendall Jenner partying while Danny Brown loses his phone, only Yams Day.
lost my phone at yams day .... lit— Danny Brown (@xdannyxbrownx) January 19, 2017
13. For the second annual celebration of Yams’ untimely departure, the A$AP Mob found a creative way to pay tribute to their brother and give their family and friends a cool keepsake. Being that Yams was the founding father of the Mob they replaced Benjamin Franklin with Yams' face, giving the $100 bill a nice upgrade.
14. To close out the show, Yams’ mother took the stage to give a heartfelt speech for her beloved son. Adorned in his favorite Versace robe she left everyone with a special message, "In Steven's honor, please remember to Always Strive & Prosper." Well said Mama Yams.
The Best Part of Yams Day Was Mama Yams Speech In Yams Versace Robe.— THE GOLDEN CHILD (@ASVPXILLZ) January 19, 2017
15. Even though they just wrapped their Yams Day 2017 concert, it seem like the Mob has already started planning next years celebration. A$AP Twelvy took to Twitter to express his excitement for what's to come on Yams Day 2018.
YAMS DAY 2018 AHHHH CANT WAIT— Mel (@AsapTwelvyy) January 20, 2017